Failed To Read Auto-Increment Value From Storage Engine – MySQL

Recently after my hosting provider hard-booted one of my machines the MySQL service started to complain “Failed To Read Auto-Increment Value From Storage Engine” when an insert was issued to any table with an auto increment field. I found the solution here, and it basically requires you to reset the auto increment key on the table, like this:


I had to do that on all of my tables that had auto increment keys to resolve the issue.

I’ve updated my website at

Now there are additional useful links on the front page down the bottom. I link through to poems, profiles, sixsigma, progclub and my links page.

I gave the site a general clean up and fixed a few formatting things that have been a minor issue for a while.

I love my website, I think of it as postmodern art. :)

phpMyAdmin $cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘tracking_version_auto_create’]

I found the configuration setting in the documentation that will force phpMyAdmin to automatically track tables during and after creation. It is:

 $cfg['Servers'][$i]['tracking_version_auto_create'] boolean

And the default value is ‘false’. I updated:


With the line:

  // JE: 2011-09-07: force tracking
  $cfg['Servers'][$i]['tracking_version_auto_create'] = true;