Learning about the functions available in The PDOStatement class. The API seems to have changed when I compare the sample code in this article to the API reference. In any event I was able to figure out how to do what I wanted to do!
It was harder to find what I was looking for than seemed reasonable, but eventually I figured out that you can convert a binary field from binary into a hexadecimal string using the MySQL HEX function.
Everything is easy once you know how!
You would have thought that error message was entirely self-explanatory, but it took me a while to understand the problem. The problem was, well, er, that the view being updated didn’t have the complete key of the underlying table in it.
For those of you who are dense like I am, that means that the primary key for the underlying table hadn’t been included as a column in the view definition. I’d done some processing on the actual primary key to turn it from upper case to lower case, and this processing meant the underlying key wasn’t actually in the view I was updating, because the primary key had been modified slightly in the view definition. I got rid of the warning by just adding the primary key column unprocessed at the end of the column list and that got rid of the warning.
Everything you need to know about MySQL Full-Text Search Functions.
Read an article about DNS TTL settings: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About TTLs.
A lot of reading for me to do about how to build online communities!
Followed the instructions in this article Configure Postfix for DNS Blackhole Lists such as dsbl.org / spamhaus.org database to configure my Postfix email server to stop spam. I used the whole recommendation:
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_invalid_hostname, reject_non_fqdn_hostname, reject_non_fqdn_sender, reject_non_fqdn_recipient, reject_unknown_sender_domain, reject_unknown_recipient_domain, reject_unauth_destination, permit_mynetworks, reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org, reject_rbl_client sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org, reject_rbl_client cbl.abuseat.org, reject_rbl_client dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net, permit
Before that my settings where:
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination
I kept the permit_sasl_authenticated setting too.
Quick and dirty PHP error handling:
error_reporting( E_ALL | E_STRICT ); ini_set( 'display_errors', 'on' );
Apparently the autocomplete attribute is now supported in HTML5.