I found this interesting talk from Carl Mitcham called Can engineering save us? A Moulakis Lecture in Responsible Engineering with Carl Mitcham. His answer: no.
Category Archives: Video
Presentations by Bret Victor
I just found him but I’m a big fan of Bret Victor.
Strange Loop videos by Philip Wadler
Two presentations given at Strange Loop by Philip Wadler.
A fun talk on Postmodernism.
Gary Aylesworth defines postmodernism as:
a set of critical, strategic and rhetorical practices employing concepts such as difference, repetition, the trace, the simulacrum, and hyperreality to destabilise other concepts such as presence, identity, historical progress, epistemic certainty, and the univocity of meaning.
I had automatic subtitles on while watching the video and it figured “differentiate” as “French cheese”. Poetic, I’m sure. Cop that Derrida! Cop that Foucault!
In the video the lecturer presents a slide which makes the claim “thought and language can’t distinguish two worlds that have exactly the same structure–exactly the same logical form.” But that is a patently false claim in my view. Take for instance the integers and the rationals, they are distinguished but we can build an isomorphism that shows they have the same form.
Later this statement is made: “we could know the necessary and sufficient stimulatory conditions of every possible act of utterance, in a foreign language, and still not know how to determine what objects the speakers of that language believe in.” This is true, but it’s also true of all people who speak the “same” language, too.
Then it is said “there is no fact of the matter about which translation is right”, but that’s not true. There is a fact of the matter about substance. Some machines can work and others can’t owing to the specific nature of what substance can do and how it works. Of course we can’t truly know substance as we only have objective access to it.
Gödel and Mandelbrot
“Categories for the Working Hacker” by Philip Wadler
An intro to category theory: “Categories for the Working Hacker” by Philip Wadler.
Some fun math videos:
- How To Count Past Infinity
- The Banach–Tarski Paradox
- Numberphile v. Math: the truth about 1+2+3+…=-1/12
And some fun math articles:
Learned about a YouTube channel that runs math videos: 3Blue1Brown. The channel is here.
I got a bunch of stuff:
- BU110 ExtremeCap UVC HDMI to USB adapter
- Logitech C922 Pro Stream Webcam
- Webcam Stand, Upgraded Flexible Desktop Stand Gooseneck Stands Holder for Logitech Webcam C922 C930e C920S C920 C615 C960 and BRIO and Other Devices with 1/4″ Thread
- Webcam Stand – 25 inch Gooseneck Clamp Desk Webcam Mount Arm for Logitech Webcam C920s C920 C930e C922x C930 C922 C925e C615 Brio – Acetaken
- Tablet Wall Mount for iPad, EXSHOW 35in Adjustable Arm Drill Base Tablet Mount for Kitchen Cabinet Desk, Camera Holder Webcam Stand for iPad Pro 12.9 Air Mini, Galaxy Tabs, Switch,iPhone,4-13″ Tablets
- High Speed 512GB USB 3.1 Solid State Mobile External SSD Hard Drive Disk 540MB/s
- HD USB Webcam Camera Video Calling Web Cam with Mic for PC Desktop Laptop
- USB 2.0 13MP HD Webcam Camera Web Cam With Mic For Computer PC Laptop LED #T
- 11 in 1 USB C Hub 4K HDMI Adapter VGA Dongle 3 USB 3.0 Ports SD/TF Type C PD AUX
- Long USB Extension Data Cable 2.0 A Male to A Female Adpter Cord for Computer; 5 meters; Transparent
- Professional Music Stand Adjustable Folding Heavy Duty Large Stage Black