So I had an issue with KCachegrind where I would open a cachegrind profile file and “nothing happened”. The status bar said the file had loaded, but the user interface widgets were all empty. Turns out clicking Settings -> Sidebars -> Function Profile loaded the part of the UI I needed to get started… everything is easy when you know how!
So it just took me all night to figure out that in Xdebug ‘tracing’ is different to ‘profiling’.
It didn’t help that the xdebug.trace_output_name included an example format of ‘cachegrind.out.%s’. Why would you name a trace file cachegrind.out if only profile files are in cachegrind format!?
In my efforts to get profiling to work I found myself loading trace files into KCachegrind and getting the rather unhelpful message: “Could not open the file “/run/shm/xdebug/trace…xt”. Check it exists and you have enough permissions to read it.”
So the error message is about file permissions. I checked and checked and checked again but the file permissions were OK. The problem was I was loading a trace file, not a profile file.
So I gave up on KCachegrind and tried to get webgrind to work. Turns out loading a trace file (not a profile file) into webgrind doesn’t work either. I got the same problem reported by Sven about ‘parsers is undefined’. I fucked around trying to update the jquery.tablesorter plugin in webgrind, but the problem was due to the fact I was loading a tracing file, not a profiling file.
In the end I got it all figured out. Here’s my /etc/php5/mods-enabled/xdebug.ini file:
zend_extension=/usr/lib/php5/20131226/xdebug.so xdebug.remote_enable=1 xdebug.remote_handler=dbgp xdebug.remote_mode=req ;xdebug.remote_host=127.0.0.1 xdebug.remote_host=10.1.1.203 ;xdebug.remote_port=9000 xdebug.remote_port=9999 ; http://www.xdebug.org/docs/all xdebug.profiler_enable=1 xdebug.profiler_output_dir=/run/shm/xdebug xdebug.profiler_output_name=cachegrind.out.%t.%R xdebug.auto_trace=1 xdebug.collect_assignments=1 xdebug.collect_includes=1 xdebug.collect_params=4 xdebug.collect_return=1 xdebug.collect_vars=0 xdebug.show_mem_delta=1 ;2 for HTML: xdebug.trace_format=0 xdebug.trace_options=1 xdebug.trace_output_dir=/run/shm/xdebug xdebug.trace_output_name=trace.%t.%R xdebug.var_display_max_children=-1 xdebug.var_display_max_data=-1 xdebug.var_display_max_depth=-1
The above config supports generation of tracing files and profiling files. I can now load my profiling files into KCachegrind and webgrind.
Everything is easy when you know how!