[ProgClub list] Memory management in C

John Elliot jj5 at progclub.org
Sat Oct 1 09:34:15 AEST 2011

On 30/09/2011 11:32 PM, Asher Glynn wrote:
> Man page seems to be discouraging it, which is fair enough if its got
> variant behaviour depending on the underlying architecture.

Well the main reason for avoiding stack allocation is that it's so easy
to run out of space on the stack.

I have to say, the function sounds like a steaming pile of crap!

"The inlined code often consists of a single instruction adjusting the
stack pointer, and does not check for stack overflow."

I'm learning more about C, and the more I learn the more I'm convinced
that C programmers just like making life difficult for themselves. There
really isn't anything that great about C. It's full of bugs and hacks,
and it is really showing its age. I can't imagine recommending the
language to anyone. Although, there is something mystical (and powerful)
about it.