[ProgClub list] Memory management in C

jedd jedd at progclub.org
Sat Oct 1 23:27:29 AEST 2011

On Sat, 2011-10-01 12:34:15 AM John Elliot wrote:
> I'm learning more about C, and the more I learn the more I'm
> convinced that C programmers just like making life difficult for
> themselves. There really isn't anything that great about C.

 Check the 'first published' date in that copy of K&R again.

 'Full of bugs and hacks' may be a bit of a disservice too.  We are
 talking about breathtakingly well-bearded men here.

 The usual response is 'try writing an OS in {insert molly-coddling
 language of choice that the initiate currently likes here}'.

 While things like this[1] or this[2] are pretty cool, they're not
 *really* serious.  While I'm not much of a linguist, I can't think
 of another language that would be suitable (today) to build
 an OS in.

 j.

 [1] http://bellard.org/jslinux/index.html
 [2] http://www.kingsquare.nl/jsc64