[ProgClub list] Memory management in C

John Elliot jj5 at progclub.org
Sun Oct 2 04:14:31 AEDT 2011

On 1/10/2011 11:27 PM, jedd wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-10-01 12:34:15 AM John Elliot wrote:
>> I'm learning more about C, and the more I learn the more I'm
>> convinced that C programmers just like making life difficult for
>> themselves. There really isn't anything that great about C.
>
>   Check the 'first published' date in that copy of K&R again.

:)

>   'Full of bugs and hacks' may be a bit of a disservice too.  We are
>   talking about breathtakingly well-bearded men here.

You haven't seen me for a few years, have you?

I'm proud to report that I have an Epic UNIX Beard these days. :)

I'm even working on a pony tail. This is all so that people will take me
seriously when I recommend vim.

>   The usual response is 'try writing an OS in {insert molly-coddling
>   language of choice that the initiate currently likes here}'.
>
>   While things like this[1] or this[2] are pretty cool, they're not
>   *really* serious.  While I'm not much of a linguist, I can't think
>   of another language that would be suitable (today) to build
>   an OS in.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. C is just glorified Assembly language, and
that's pretty much what you want if you're talking to hardware.

>   [1] http://bellard.org/jslinux/index.html

How cool is that!?