[ProgClub list] Memory management in C

John Elliot jj5 at progclub.org
Sun Oct 2 06:38:36 AEDT 2011

On 2/10/2011 5:42 AM, Asher Glynn wrote:
>> Which I don't entirely understand. It seems to be saying that the first
>> four parameters are passed in particular registers (depending on their size
>> and type). Does this mean 'always'? Do all compilers have to know about this
>> and generate code accordingly?
>
> They'll have to know about it if they want to be compatible with each other.
> One of the exercises (before I dropped it) in Operating Systems at UNSW was
> rewriting an RPC mechanism in a microkernel to pass on register rather than
> in main memory.

I don't understand how it's "RPC" if the parameters are being passed in
registers!

I guess what you were doing was changing from "RPC" to in-proc.
Presumably for performance reasons.

I was reading a little about microkernels and apparently they have a
history of poor performance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microkernel