[ProgClub list] Memory management in C

John Elliot jj5 at progclub.org
Sun Oct 2 06:54:54 AEDT 2011

On 2/10/2011 6:50 AM, Asher Glynn wrote:
> RPC in this case was "remote" in the sense of "not in process". The
> particular microkernel was MACH I think.

I don't how you pass in registers and manage to context switch to
another process at the same time.

I'm reading a book about the design of the UNIX operating system and it
talks about how code executes in 'user mode' or in 'kernel mode' but
there is no context switch that takes place. So kernel mode code just
runs in the context of whichever process invoked it.