[ProgClub list] Memory management in C

Stuart Laughlin stuart at bistrotech.net
Tue Oct 4 05:59:20 AEDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 11:59 AM, John Elliot <jj5 at progclub.org> wrote:

> I'm fairly enamoured with C# on Mono. I think that's going to be my
> language/platform of choice. I say "going to be", because at the moment I'm
> pretty heavily involved with writing web apps in PHP. I'm happy writing web
> apps in PHP, by the way. Although it's all quite new to me, I'm enjoying the
> experience. PHP is a little brain-dead in parts, but it's functional. I have
> so much planned to do in PHP that I might not be finished for a few years.
> :P
>
> Unfortunately C# on Mono has a really sorry story for UI development in its
> buggy WinForms implementation. I think I'm going to stick with web-based UIs
> for the foreseeable future. I'd like to get back to writing web apps in C#
> (on Mono), but I'm a long way from there at the moment and there's no reason
> to believe I'll catch up any time soon.

I'll be interested to see if writing web apps in C# has the same
appeal for you, coming back to it as you will be from a long foray
into PHP. I spent a couple years writing C# web apps (.net not mono)
and I must say I really enjoyed it. I had pretty well standardized on
a technology stack comprised of MSSQL, NHibernate, Castle MonoRail,
Castle Windsor, and dojo toolkit. ORM, MVC, IoC, and a nice js/widget
toolkit make .Net web development pretty respectable. But then I spent
a year or two with python and django and that pretty well cured me of
ever wanting to write another C# web app. I'm vastly more productive
with django, I like my tools way better (i.e. linux/vim/pdb), I spend
my time doing stuff instead of waiting for Visual Studio, and on and
on the list goes. The ORM is included (and swappable), the MVC (or
rather MTV) infrastructure is baked right in, and it turns out IoC is
just a crutch to prop up your language's inadequacies.

Now I'm putting python thru its paces with desktop app development,
and we'll see how that goes. So far I'm inclined to say that wxWidgets
is a bit more painful that Winforms, and the deployment story isn't
that great. Other than that, I'm still loving python.

--Stuart