[ProgClub list] Memory management in C

John Elliot jj5 at progclub.org
Mon Oct 10 14:18:40 AEDT 2011

On 10/10/2011 11:23 AM, Stuart Laughlin wrote:
> I wish I could say that was the case, but actually the project was
> fairly disastrous.

I like working on little focused projects. I really don't want to work
on a big re-write again if I can help it. At least not for 5 years or so.

> the client was an extremely dysfunctional
> organization full of fiefdoms and power struggles.

Isn't reality a shame like that? I have to say I'm really fortunate in
my current relationships that I'm abstracted away from anything like
that. I'm sure it's there in the organisation, but it doesn't (directly)
affect me.

> In the end, the client
> purchased some COTS software instead, so my prototype never saw a
> production implementation.

Probably for the best. Those Access applications that get used become
core to the business process and then they're a nightmare to maintain
(or replace).

> and now we are in the process of becoming the "Software Development
> Practice" under the direction of my colleague and myself.

Sounds cool, good luck!

> I intend to put together a couple/few emails this week explaining my
> take on it. Let's see if my good intentions translate into actual
> activity.

Hehe. Good luck with that too! :)

I have to say I'm pretty pleased with myself that I've actually been
doing my uni work. :P Last night I did the Linear Algebra review, which
essentially answers the question "What is the Matrix?" :)