[ProgClub list] AI class, Monty Hall

John Elliot jj5 at progclub.org
Wed Oct 19 10:17:11 AEDT 2011

Here's something amusing:

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIrfGiP65UI

Monty Hall didn't understand the Monty Hall problem! :)

The first time I came across the Monty Hall problem I didn't understand
it either. I had to write a simulation and see it work for myself. After
writing the simulation, I believed, but I didn't understand. Eventually
I figured it out and now I understand how it works.

For those who haven't heard of the Monty Hall problem, check it out:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

The trick is that the door that's containing the prize can't be opened
and the door you are standing in front of can't be opened. So the first
time you make a choice you are choosing from one in three. If you switch
you are then choosing from one in two, which is better odds. If you
don't switch you keep your guess as one in three.