[ProgClub list] AI class, Monty Hall

John Elliot jj5 at progclub.org
Fri Oct 21 16:52:28 AEDT 2011

On 21/10/2011 10:27 AM, Justin Steward wrote:
> I got through the description of the game show scenario and said to
> myself, "I call bullshit. Your chances are still one in three," then I
> read the playing cards analogy, and it clicked.

That's pretty much what happened to me, I thought it was bs at first
too. I've always been told I was good at maths, I did 4 unit maths in
highschool for instance. But... my intuition for, and understanding of,
mathematical concepts is horrible.

> Probability has always
> been a mind bender for me. It so often seems entirely divorced from
> common logic...

Yeah, I'm having trouble with it at the moment. I'm really worried I
won't be able to keep up with the level of maths demanded by the courses
I'm doing.

In somewhat related news, checkout this 8 part talk on basic arithmetic
and intuition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-QA2rkpBSY&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=SP6A1FD147A45EF50D