[ProgClub list] AI class, Monty Hall

Asher Glynn asher.glynn at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 02:35:42 AEDT 2011

Probability has always

> been a mind bender for me. It so often seems entirely divorced from
>> common logic...
>>

> Yeah, I'm having trouble with it at the moment. I'm really worried I won't
> be able to keep up with the level of maths demanded by the courses I'm
> doing.

I wouldn't feel particularly bad about the Monty Hall problem - its just one
of those scenarios that mixes seemingly independent with dependent outcomes
- its fairly specific and will rattle you. Better now than in the last
lecture :)

Just think that the really scary bit is that it validates the logic of "you
should change because its clearly a trick" is correct :)