[ProgClub list] So, why aren't we using Unix as god intended?

John Elliot jj5 at progclub.org
Thu Oct 27 00:34:31 AEDT 2011

On 27/10/2011 12:05 AM, Asher Glynn wrote:
> Its just an interesting dilemma - on the one hand Unix is crafted and guided
> by many many design decisions that actually turned out to be bollocks in the
> long term, so we're living with a design that no longer fits our usage
> pattern.

I think I agree with you. I'll look forward to seeing your article.

I've been thinking along similar lines about Blackbrick's (planned :P)
Homepage Server. That will support multiple concurrent users, but the
security will be managed at the application layer, and not by deferring
in any way to the (Linux) platform. From the operating system's
perspective that will be the "single user running single daemon process"
that you alluded to earlier, essentially www-data running Apache.
Actually, in practice, I expect it will be more than that, but not by much.

I'm happy with *nix because I can use its intended idioms when it suits
me, and ignore them if it doesn't. Sometimes I use my *nix systems in
all the ways you enumerated as intentions, and sometimes I don't. I
guess it's a matter of trying to pick the right tool for the job. I feel
like the Unix approach left me with options.

A question that springs to mind, and I'm surprised I haven't got an
answer for this off the top of my head, but what are the design
decisions taken by Windows that differ from *nix? Is it simply that
Windows is more graphically oriented, or does it go further than that?
If you think *nix is out-dated, what is your opinion on Windows (or OSX,
to the extent it's not just BSD Unix)?