[ProgClub list] SEO hacking

John Elliot jj5 at progclub.org
Sun Sep 4 15:06:34 AEST 2011

I've been playing tricks with content on our web-site in order to
increase our rank in google for the search term "programmers' club", and
it has paid off! We are now ranked on page 3, whereas before we were
nowhere to be seen in the first 10 pages. I've blogged about this here:

  http://www.progclub.org/blog/2011/09/04/programmers-club/

The way I went about this was to put up a "Programmers' Club" page on
the wiki:

  http://www.progclub.org/wiki/Programmers%27_Club

So that the term "programmers' club" was in the URL, which helps.

Then, I linked to the new page from everywhere I could think of:

  http://www.progclub.net/
  http://progclub.mobi/
  http://www.progsoc.org/~jselliot/
  http://www.progsoc.org/wiki/User:Jselliot
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jj5
  http://www.theinvestigators.com.au/

I used the phrase "Programmers' Club" in the anchor tag, which also helps.

If you'd like to help ProgClub get to number one for the search phrase
"programmers' club" you can do that by linking to our Programmers' Club
page, mabye with some HTML like this:

href="http://www.progclub.org/wiki/Programmers'_Club">Programmers' Club</a>

Go school! :)