[ProgClub programming] Western Digital Purple

Jevan Pipitone email3 at jevan.com.au
Fri Aug 31 21:49:15 AEST 2018

This link could be an interesting read since it is about NAS and iSCSI
and in their tests they found that using iSCSI (information from the
drive sent directly via a network connection which is ideally using
1Gigabit network cards and cabling) was much faster than a network
attached server for reading, and about the same for writing.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/255668/how_to_speed_up_your_nas_with_iscsi.html

Jevan.

On Fri 31-Aug-18 9:08 PM, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
> On 31 August 2018 at 20:49, John Elliot V | ProgClub <jj5 at progclub.org
> <mailto:jj5 at progclub.org>> wrote:
>
>     I think I'll take the risk with WD. Big companies like WD and Seagate
>     are dynamic entities anyway so the future performance isn't
>     necessarily
>     indicated by their past performance... and on the numbers an early
>     drive
>     failure is unlikely.
>

>  Just to be extra clear, I'm saying that in Australia, RMA's for WD
> drives are painful, compared to RMA's for Seagate drives.
>
>  You may wish and hope that you won't have to do an RMA, or that the
> local vendor you dealt with originally will service it (they may for
> the first twelve months), but on the off-chance that you have to send
> it back to the manufacturer's country of choice, you'll get an
> unpleasant surprise with WD if you're in Straya.
>
>  I'm not suggesting that companies do not come and go, or any claims
> around inherent quality or performance of the respective manufacturers.
>
>  I note that the WD purple comes with 3year warranty (compared to the
> Seagate's 5 year warranty) so if it fails after 3 years this won't be
> a problem for you anyway.
>
>     Don't care about vibration tolerance, I noted the power
>     consumption as a
>     nice to have, but I decided based on the 66 5-star ratings here:
>
>     https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100203085%20600457700%20600457692&IsNodeId=1&Description=12%20tb&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=36
>     <https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100203085%20600457700%20600457692&IsNodeId=1&Description=12%20tb&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=36>
>

>  Are you physically mounting two drives next to each other?
>
>  Anyhoo, interestingly when I clicked on those 66 egg icon, it took me
> to a 'be the first to write a review'. Other 'egg' collections took me
> to actual reviews.  Weird, huh.
>
>  But I'm sure it's a solid way of selecting hardware, in any case.
>
>  Are you intending to stream a lot of video data to these drives?
>
>     >  I have a 5-bay QNAP  -- I regret the decision.
>
>     What's the problem with it?
>

>  Not fit for purpose.  Upgrades were painful and high risk.   iSCSI
> simply didn't work when I first got it, and I had to downgrade, and
> then performance was woeful, on-disk encryption wasn't compatible with
> iSCSI volumes ... it was / is basically a shitty under-powered
> overpriced GNU/Linux box that I had no control over.
>
>     So, just for clarity. I get a Gen8 HP Microserver, use 2x 12 TB
>     disks in
>     hardware RAID 1, install VMWare ESXi, then spin up a virtual
>     machine to
>     run FreeNAS in..? Do I pre-allocate a bunch of storage for the FreeNAS
>     VM? Is there a process for adding extra storage to the FreeNAS VM
>     if/when necessary..?
>

>  I'm strongly recommending 16GB ECC HP Gen8 servers ... have done for
> [...]

Signature

Jevan Pipitone
Software Engineer and Researcher
Volunteer (unpaid) work only
MIT SE (UC), GradDip IT (UC), BSc (ANU), GradCert Rsch Methods and Des (UC)
C#.NET/VB.NET Developer (Small Projects), MySql/MS Sql, IT Research, IT
Support, IT Tutoring
Web: http://www.jevan.com.au/
Email: email3 at jevan.com.au <mailto:email3 at jevan.com.au>
Tel: (02) 6152 8010 (or +61 2 6152 8010)
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jevanpipitone
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jevanpipitone
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jevanpipitone
ICQ: https://icq.com/windows/en with UIN 672057706