[ProgClub programming] Western Digital Purple

John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Fri Aug 31 22:59:13 AEST 2018

On 31/08/18 22:44, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
>  You've indicated that you want a place to store files, and continue to
> decline to describe actual use case or needs.

Sorry! I didn't ignore you. I started running this command several
emails ago:

 root at tact:/data# du -sh * | sort -h

*but* it's going to take a while to complete.

When it completes I will be able to describe my data requirements, so
please stand-by for that (probably won't finish this evening).

>  However, lack of iLO,>

Never heard of iLO [1], don't think I'm caring about that.

[1] https://www.hpe.com/us/en/servers/integrated-lights-out-ilo.html

> lack of microSD boot,

Don't care about that. I like DVD.

> and (I believe, but haven't confirmed) lack of proper
> (transparent) hardware RAID for ESXi

The Marvell 88SE9230 [2] hardware RAID isn't real RAID..?

[2]
https://www.marvell.com/storage/system-solutions/sata-controllers/pcie-2-sata-controllers/

> ... put me off the idea, plus of course the cost is significantly higher.

I'm scoping some specs (and costs) over here:

 https://www.jj5.net/sixsigma/Server

Looking like $2,500 for a fairly capable server based on the Gen10.

>  I boot from microSD, as ESX doesn't utilise the boot device once it's
> running, and this makes it very easy to experiment with upgrades etc.
> It also means I have RAID1 pairs of *large capacity* drives to play with.
>
>  SSD's are also a bit wasted in these boxes, but it depends on your
> usage case (have I mentioned enough that you haven't mentioned those yet?)

So left to my own devices I would have the host OS (probably Ubuntu
Desktop w/ VNC server) and the VMs (probably VirtualBox) on an SSD
mirror (2x 512 GB in RAID 1) and the data volume on a magnetic mirror
(2x 12 TB in RAID 1).

AIUI both ESX and VirtualBox are non-free and given that my VMs are
presently VirtualBox VMs I think VirtualBox is probably path of least
resistance for me...