[ProgClub programming] ZFS maturity

John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Sat Jun 1 04:44:09 AEST 2019

On 31/5/19 10:10 am, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
> I don't know how ZFS works either, but that's not entirely why I avoid it.

This evening ZFS started spewing warnings like this:

 root at trust:/# zdb -DDD data
 space map refcount mismatch: expected 136 != actual 130

which sounds sorta data-corruption-ish to me...

And searching the web turned up stuff like this:

 https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/7204

which was quite troubling to read. But eventually I found it's just a
report of a trivial memory leak, and not something to worry much about.
It shouldn't happen, but when it does only a few hundred bytes are
leaked, and beyond that no harm done...

I love ZFS but I do wish it was more mature than it is. A tool for
finding memory leaks and freeing them would be nice, even if we had to
run it offline...