John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Mon Jun 3 13:43:16 AEST 2019

On 3/6/19 1:33 pm, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 12:38, John Elliot V | ProgClub <jj5 at progclub.org
> <mailto:jj5 at progclub.org>> wrote:
>
>     I like to run my maintenance scripts in a loop in a console so I can
>     keep an eye on them, stop/disable them when necessary, and make sure
>     they're not run again while one is still running...
>
> This does invite the question of whether your attention should be
> focused on the output of well behaved scripts acting predictably, which
> contain enough smarts to act sensibly if they detect problems, and alert
> you only when a human is required.

Of course the reality is that my backup scripts are not such well-tested
and reliable scripts that can recover from myriad error conditions, nor
will they ever be. I keep my eye on them because that's my best chance
of figuring out if something has gone wrong. My maintenance scripts get
debugged in production...

>  Rather than syslog (which would be a step in the right direction) a log
> aggregator (as mentioned before) that can trigger on whatever events you
> want, and could still give you the sense of 'staring at a console
> waiting for something to happen' if you wanted, just it'd be one console
> for all your servers / services, not multiple.

Of course in the absence of such things and an army of devops ninjas I
need a way to get my backups done in the interim.

>  Logic for preventing one running while another is running ... sounds
> like you're reinventing systemd services.  Presumably in php.

I'm happy enough with my "manned" maintenance processes. They're not
perfect, but nothing is. I have no plans of changing to another
approach, such as cron jobs or systemd services.