John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Mon Jun 3 13:56:37 AEST 2019

On 3/6/19 1:43 pm, John Elliot V | ProgClub wrote:
>> This does invite the question of whether your attention should be
>> focused on the output of well behaved scripts acting predictably, which
>> contain enough smarts to act sensibly if they detect problems, and alert
>> you only when a human is required.
>
> Of course the reality is that my backup scripts are not such well-tested
> and reliable scripts that can recover from myriad error conditions, nor
> will they ever be.

Just to be clear: if my maintenance script encounters an unexpected
error or situation it can't deal with it exits immediately right after
emailing me a diagnostic and printing a big red "ERROR" on the screen.
The script won't then run again until after the issue has been diagnosed
and resolved (because it requires a manual restart). The code that
manages this process is free software written by your's truly:

 https://svn.jj5.net/jjrepo/jj5-bin/branches/0.2/bin/inc/lib.sh

So as long as my maintenance script is still running and there's no big
red "ERROR" on the screen then things are probably okay and it's
probably processing whatever it says it is without issue. I do generally
go weeks at a time without issue, but the process does need to be
manually restarted if the server reboots (e.g. during APT maintenance)
or if it exits due to error.