Roland Turner roland at rolandturner.com
Mon Jun 3 15:35:17 AEST 2019

On 3/6/19 1:28 pm, Roland Turner via programming wrote:
> On 3/6/19 12:26 pm, John Elliot V | ProgClub wrote:
>
>> On 3/6/19 1:19 pm, Roland Turner via programming wrote:
>>> https://rolandturner.com/2012/03/22/directing-a-shell-scripts-entire-output-to-syslog
>> Raz, with the code indicated, do you simply put the line at the top of
>> your shell script? After which any script output gets directed to the
>> logger?
>
> Yes, exactly.

It occurs to me to add: if you're using a library with a function for
each priority in order to use different colours then you might consider
invoking logger within those functions with a suitable --priority
option. This would then allow to use things like multitail or grc
(generic colorizer) to view your system log in colour. You'd need to
cause priorities to be logged, e.g. %syslogpriority in an rsyslog template.

- Raz