John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Mon Jun 3 16:57:22 AEST 2019

On 3/6/19 3:28 pm, Roland Turner via programming wrote:
>> I did try 'man exec' but that's obviously not what I want and I searched
>> for "exec" in 'man bash' but that returned the phone book...
>
>     $ man bash
>
>     :/exec \[

Ah, nice one! I'm gonna have to remember that pattern.

> Note in particular the special handling when arguments are not present.

Got it. Thanks!

> The other thing to look at is process substitution.

Yes, very interesting. You can just switch out an entire shell process!

> The userdata variant is only relevant if you're tinkering with the
> innards of your ...favourite cloud initialisation tool.

:)

I've learned that there are a lot of interesting things you can do with
cloud-init, e.g.:

 https://cloudinit.readthedocs.io/en/latest/topics/examples.html

I built out my own solution (using shell scripts, run-once services, and
Terraform) before I discovered cloud-init. I should probably revise my
processes in light of this...