[ProgClub programming] 4.5 days to go...

John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Wed Jun 5 01:03:10 AEST 2019

Thank you Justin and Jevan for your help!

So... this turned out to be a bit of an adventure, but I got there in
the end.

First I had added the stretch-backports to /etc/apt/sources.list

Then I did an 'apt update' followed by

 # apt install -t stretch-backports netdata

But when I tried to connect to

 http://localhost:19999/

I was getting connection refused. I tried restarting the netdata
service, I tried rebooting, finally I commented out:

  bind socket to IP = 127.0.0.1

from the /etc/netdata/netdata.conf file, and then I was able to connect.

But obviously I didn't want to leave netdata listening on public IP
addresses so I kept digging and eventually discovered this:

 jj5 at tact:~$ ping localhost
 PING localhost (127.0.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
 64 bytes from localhost (127.0.1.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.033 ms
 64 bytes from localhost (127.0.1.1): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.013 ms

Ah ha! What is this '127.0.1.1' I see? Very strange. I don't remember
configuring my /etc/hosts file like that! Anyway, I can use
http://127.0.0.1:19999/ to access netdata, so that's good.

Thanks again for your help.