John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Wed Jun 5 10:43:01 AEST 2019

On 5/6/19 10:34 am, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 at 09:35, John Elliot V | ProgClub <jj5 at progclub.org
> <mailto:jj5 at progclub.org>> wrote:
>
>     If only I could share your faith in the system...
>
>  My faith <sic> is in using software used, debugged, maintained by many
> people.

Software *and configurations thereof*.

While cron is older than I am, my crontabs are not.

Besides, I will see your "cron", and raise you "shell".

>     Either way I have a console open that I can ignore until it sends me a
>     message in red.
>
>  I think our language diverges here.
>
>  If you're watching something in case it goes red, you're not ignoring it.
>
>  And it's that unnecessary cognitive imposition that I'd find intolerable.
>
>  Whatever thing turns the font red should be able to raise an alert, say
> by sending an email.

...or printing an error message in red?

>  While not quite as venerable as cron, SMTP is nearly 40 years old, and
> can safely be relied on.
...won't I then be sitting there waiting for my Inbox to go red..?

...and my experience of SMTP is that it's not that reliable, due mostly
to nondeterministic SPAM filtering... f.e. at the moment email messages
from the ProgClub registration system aren't being delivered for reasons
I have yet to determine... it used to work... the email address
confirmations work... requires investigation.