Roland Turner roland at rolandturner.com
Wed Jun 5 12:35:52 AEST 2019

On 5/6/19 7:35 am, John Elliot V | ProgClub wrote:

> Anyway, seems to me like it's six one way half a dozen the other. Either
> way I have a console open that I can ignore until it sends me a message
> in red. It might be my shell script running in screen, or it might be my
> graylog system scanning syslogs of my fleet...

It's really not. You're comparing:

  * putting yourself in the loop, hour by hour; with
  * putting yourself in the loop when something goes wrong every month
    or two.

Note also "The determined Real Programmer can write FORTRAN programs in
any language." If you're struggling to produce reliable systems at your
current level of complexity then you'll fail completely with larger,
more complex systems; even well-tested ones. There are habits of mind
required that you're not yet exhibiting.

- Raz