Roland Turner roland at rolandturner.com
Fri Jun 7 12:49:25 AEST 2019

On 7/6/19 6:45 am, John Elliot V | ProgClub wrote:
> On 6/6/19 7:01 pm, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
>>   I don't think this is a good idea, but it would suit your requirements
>> as stated:
>>
>>   Run your rsyncs to another host in the same AZ.
> That's what I do. I have some good old magnetic storage for the job.

!!

This is definitely intra-AZ traffic? Why not:

$ aws ec2 create-snapshot --volume-id {id}

This eliminates:

  * The I/O cost
  * The network traffic
  * CPU use by rsync on the source host
  * The existence of the backup host (depending what else it's doing)

Yes, you're going to have to do some fiddling to delete snapshots more
than two hours old. It does not appear straightforward to do it in bash.

  - Raz