John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Fri Jun 7 13:39:12 AEST 2019

On 7/6/19 9:43 am, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 at 08:45, John Elliot V | ProgClub <jj5 at progclub.org
> <mailto:jj5 at progclub.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 6/6/19 7:01 pm, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
>     >  Run your rsyncs to another host in the same AZ.
>
>     That's what I do. I have some good old magnetic storage for the job.
>
>  Within the same AZ you're getting hit with non-trivial transit charges
> for syncing 2-hour deltas between two servers?

Two copies of 2-hour deltas from 17 AWS EC2 instances.

>  Christ on a cracker.
>
>  How much physical data is changing, and what are they hitting you up
> for with the in-AZ transit?

The in-AZ transit bandwidth for "regional data transfer - in/out/between
EC2 AZs or using elastic IPs or ELB" is around $17/mo. Outbound
bandwidth is a further $17/mo.

I can't answer the question about physical data because I would need to
collect the rsync --stats reports and aggregate them for my 17 servers,
which is more trouble than I'm prepared to go to.

You can see a typical month's worth of AWS utilisation here:

 https://www.jj5.net/file/2019-06-07-132723/aws-2019-05.png

Prices are in US$. My magnetic storage is a big ticket item at $123/mo.
I/O requests come out at about $57/mo. So if my two hourly process ran
every 20 minutes that would be 6 x some large percentage of $57 for I/O
perhaps being up to something like $300/mo, which is considerable.