John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Fri Jun 7 14:54:55 AEST 2019

On 7/6/19 2:48 pm, John Elliot V | ProgClub wrote:
> On 7/6/19 2:42 pm, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
>>  Hunches aside, I tested this just now.
>>
>>  So there's something else whacky going on with your data
>> synchronisation process.
>
> I don't think it's a network bandwidth cost (which is what you seem to
> have measured with tcpdump), but an EBS disk access cost... to monitor
> that I think the only tool in my toolbox would be 'iotop'... there are
> probably better tools...

I ran a report for all my instances over the last 24 hours, and they all
report a flat zero reads and zero writes over the period, I'm at a loss
to explain this...

 https://jj5.net/file/2019-06-07-145241/Screenshot_20190607_145154.png

You can see the backups being processed when e.g. CPU or network usage
spikes every two hours...