Roland Turner roland at rolandturner.com
Fri Jun 7 15:15:12 AEST 2019

On 7/6/19 11:52 am, John Elliot V | ProgClub wrote:

> I guess one thing that springs to mind to prefer my current setup to
> your suggested approach is a mild concern over vendor lock-in. All other
> things being equal I prefer pursuing approaches which would work equally
> well if I shifted to another cloud provider... 'rsync' fits that bill,
> whereas 'aws' CLI does not.

You have a credible cloud provider in mind who does not provide SAN-like
services of this type? Even Rackspace CloudServers CBS does this, albeit
with some bizarre rough edges.

> * Fiddling: pursuing your suggestion, which I do agree is potentially a
> good approach, would also leave data restores being a little bit fiddly.
> At the moment if I need a backed up file I can just SSH in to one of my
> backup hosts and find it in the file-system. Restoring/mounting
> snapshots is not quite so straight-forward. That is not to say that it's
> impossible though, of course.

Erm that's an archive requirement (which you indicated that you had
another solution for), not a backup requirement. Restoring volume
snapshots is fairly quick and extraordinarily simple:

  * Create a volume from the snapshot. (This will take several minutes
    to complete.)
  * Stop the failed instance.
  * Detach its root volume.
  * Attach the new volume.
  * Start the failed instance.

Even doing what you describe is pretty straightforward:

  * Create a volume from the snapshot.
  * Attach the new volume to a convenient instance and mount it.
  * Extract whatever you need.
  * Unmount, detach, and delete.

Do you need to do either of these things more than once a year?

- Raz