John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Fri Jun 7 15:30:00 AEST 2019

On 7/6/19 3:15 pm, Roland Turner via programming wrote:
> On 7/6/19 11:52 am, John Elliot V | ProgClub wrote:
>> I guess one thing that springs to mind to prefer my current setup to
>> your suggested approach is a mild concern over vendor lock-in. All other
>> things being equal I prefer pursuing approaches which would work equally
>> well if I shifted to another cloud provider... 'rsync' fits that bill,
>> whereas 'aws' CLI does not.
>
> You have a credible cloud provider in mind who does not provide SAN-like
> services of this type? Even Rackspace CloudServers CBS does this, albeit
> with some bizarre rough edges.

My point was simply that I'd have to manually integrate each one.
Whereas with 'rsync' each cloud provider exposes a uniform interface
(i.e. SSH over TCP/IP).

>> * Fiddling: pursuing your suggestion, which I do agree is potentially a
>> good approach, would also leave data restores being a little bit fiddly.
>> At the moment if I need a backed up file I can just SSH in to one of my
>> backup hosts and find it in the file-system. Restoring/mounting
>> snapshots is not quite so straight-forward. That is not to say that it's
>> impossible though, of course.
>
> Erm that's an archive requirement (which you indicated that you had
> another solution for), not a backup requirement. Restoring volume
> snapshots is fairly quick and extraordinarily simple:
>
>   * Create a volume from the snapshot. (This will take several minutes
>     to complete.)
>   * Stop the failed instance.
>   * Detach its root volume.
>   * Attach the new volume.
>   * Start the failed instance.
>
> Even doing what you describe is pretty straightforward:
>
>   * Create a volume from the snapshot.
>   * Attach the new volume to a convenient instance and mount it.
>   * Extract whatever you need.
>   * Unmount, detach, and delete.

Sure. But those things are slightly more difficult than accessing a
backup file system which is already mounted.

> Do you need to do either of these things more than once a year?

Certainly not. It seems a bit silly to say, but hopefully never!

Also, if I do need to access a backup file, there very well may be some
level of urgency; in which case waiting for snapshots to turn into
volumes or whatnot might be an exacerbating delay...