Roland Turner roland at rolandturner.com
Fri Jun 7 15:32:52 AEST 2019

On 7/6/19 12:14 pm, John Elliot V | ProgClub wrote:

> On 7/6/19 9:56 am, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
>  What actual risk(s) you are worried about - 'data loss' is
>> spectacularly vague, and may be mitigated by a big ol' lump of block
>> storage (EBS) that can be lift-n-shifted to another host.
> I guess the concerns I have are that I will fuck up and delete or
> overwrite something I shouldn't have due to accident on the command-line
> or with configuration systems. If this happens I imagine that generally
> I will notice fairly quickly (although potentially not).
>
> I similarly worry that errant software that myself or others have
> written deletes or overwrites something it shouldn't. This might be more
> difficult and time-consuming to detect than the prior concern.
>
> I guess, too, I worry a little bit about what happens if e.g. one of my
> networks services (particularly web services) is compromised and a
> hacker gets control of my file systems or part thereof.
>
> ...and "unknown unknowns"...
>
> What do you think are the risks I should worry about?

OK, so these are all privilege misuse issues (as distinct from media
failure or premises compromise) for which backups are certainly a
relevant control, although perhaps not on the short-term retention basis
that you've described.

You've not established a rational basis for RPO, RTO, or implementation
cost, so rational control design is infeasible.

- Raz