John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Fri Jun 7 19:19:57 AEST 2019

On 7/6/19 3:45 pm, Roland Turner via programming wrote:
> How frequently do you _*actually*_ need to rely upon backups?

Well this year there was the issue of the ProgClub admin server:

 https://www.progclub.org/pipermail/announcement/2019/000126.html

I relied on the backups under discussion in that instance. I already had
a pre-written restore script, so after recreating the VPS I just ran the
restore [1] and the server's data was restored (from the backups on the
file system we've been discussing). The restore process took around one
and a half hours. It's possible there was some data loss, but I expect
there probably wasn't much, if any.

So that issue was a textbook example of what this level of backups was
instituted to remedy and the restore process was pretty much flawless.
In my view this was a fairly big deal and the backups and restore
processes paid for themselves.

I had some minor and mildly inconvenient data loss in recent history. I
was working on some experimental code in a directory on my desktop
/home/jj5/desktop/experiment and I was in BASH in Konsole and I wanted
to move one file over another but muscle memory typed 'rm' instead of
'mv' and poof! files gone. I will have fairly good resilience to this
class of issue soon when I have my new workstation fitted out with ZFS
for /home and an automated snapshot per minute (or more, we shall see)...

[1]
    # 2017-10-28 jj5 - restore 421:pc-adm-1:
    integrity*)
      restore '/home';
      restore '/root' root;
      restore '/var/state' www-data;