John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Sat Jun 8 00:00:54 AEST 2019

On 7/6/19 8:37 pm, John Elliot V | ProgClub wrote:
> The implication being that entire snapshots are far larger (they have
> 'bin', 'usr', 'lib', etc.). I crunched some numbers over here [1] and
> assuming my basic assumptions are about right the snapshot approach
> could be over five times more expensive, leaving no real reason to
> abandon the incumbent solution for cost-saving purposes...

In fairness I should add that the snapshot method never over-provisions,
whereas my two-hourly method is about 100% over-provisioned at the
moment as I made room for extra capacity. But that still comes in
comfortably at less than half the cost...

I was thinking perhaps snapshots are stored compressed and the typical
compression ratios are perhaps what gives rise to the $0.055 vs $0.08
price variations for snapshots vs magnetic storage.