[ProgClub programming] Hard drive performance

John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Tue Jun 11 15:34:27 AEST 2019

I think I may have cracked this nut.

I took the server apart and rechecked/refastened its cables. I moved one
disk in the rack down a slot for better airflow/cooling.

Then I had a squiz in the BIOS for anything that looked like it might be
performance related and discovered a setting for the SATA controller
compatibility and it was set to IDE so I changed it to AHCI.

The bad news is that this fucked up my ZFS cache file so I lost my
zpool. The good news is I have recreated my zpool and am reloading the
data and it seems to be humming along with writes at about 5M/s.

So it's gonna take a few days for the data to restore but I'm hoping
once it does the read performance will be something sensible...