[ProgClub programming] MIT or GPL

Jevan Pipitone discussion-email-lists at jevan.com.au
Sun Jun 16 21:23:03 AEST 2019

I've summarized the drewdevault article here so you don't have to read it.

MIT has four rules it grants people for the license:

 1. The right to use the software for any purpose.
 2. The right to study the source code and change it as you please.
 3. The right to redistribute the software to others.
 4. The right to distribute your modifications to the software.

GPL has those same four rules, but it adds that when distributing
derivative works based on your code, they have to use the GPL license.
This prevents people from taking open source free software and then
selling it under a commercial license.

Jevan.

On Sat. 15-Jun.-19 5:26 am, John Elliot V | ProgClub wrote:
> This came up on r/programming today:
>
>   https://drewdevault.com/2019/06/13/My-journey-from-MIT-to-GPL.html
>
> Just wondering if anyone wanted to chime in with an opinion about what I
> should do... my default go-to license is the MIT license as you can see
> e.g. here:
>
>   https://svn.jj5.net/jjrepo/jj5-bin/branches/0.2/bin/new-sh.sh
>
> Is MIT or GPL a better default?
>
> May the Force be with you,
> John Elliot V

Signature

Volunteer Work Only (but you can make money)
MIT SE (UC), GradDip IT (UC), BSc (ANU),
GradCert Rsch Methods & Des (UC)

I am here for online friends, hobbies, volunteer work, and working on
business ideas, and I am on Centrelink Disability Support Pension
(Schizophrenia & Aspergers). I suspect that what will probably work is
people who are on a Centrelink payment such as unemployed, disability,
or retired, since they can benefit from me and since it allows me to
give back to Centrelink, and also, if female friends then age 49+ and
less attractive so that they will find me attractive, also probably
overweight since I am overweight. However I can also work with highly
skilled people since I can make use of what I get from them that is
useful for me to be able to work with interesting concepts. Me:
Computing Researcher, Self Employed, Innovation, Management, Canberra
Australia. Interests: Especially things involving the use of a computer.
Creating, Doing, Improvising, Analysing for Improvement: Computer
Programming Open Source including C#/VB.NET, CSS, HTML, Javascript, MS
Visual Studio, My/MS Sql, PHP, WinForms, WPF. 3d animation, Acting
Improvisations, Audio Podcasts, Business & Startups, Chat, Creative
Writing & Poetry, Creativity, Dancing, Debating, Decisions, Digital Art,
Discussion of Topics, Electronic Music Composition/Creation (FL Studio),
Engineering, Friends, Ideas, Information Analysis, Innovation, IT
Tuition, Jazz Piano, Jazz Singing Male Baritone & Choir & Karaoke,
Management, PC Support, Photography, Public Speaking, Reading online
science magazines and emails, Research, Science, Making YouTube Videos.
Friendship with adults via phone, Email, Online Chat, anything we can
make and send each other and collaborate on. Note: For our interactions,
collaborations, hobbies, volunteer work, etc to turn out successful, it
may be necessary for there to be a financial cost to me in order for you
or your organization to make it work, so let me know what you suggest.

Web: http://www.jevan.com.au/
Email: email5 at jevan.com.au <mailto:email5 at jevan.com.au>
Tel: (02) 6152 8010 (or +61 2 6152 8010)
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jevanpipitone
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jevanpipitone
GitHub: http://www.github.com/jevanpipitone
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jevanpipitone