[ProgClub programming] MIT or GPL

Jedd Rashbrooke jedd.rashbrooke at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 08:20:24 AEST 2019

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 at 07:14, John Elliot V | ProgClub <jj5 at progclub.org>
wrote:

> >  You may wish to
> > consider:  https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#Expat
>
> Many many people refer to the "MIT license"...

 Indeed.  [1]

 I'd hope that most Australians would wrongly refer to it as 'the MIT
licence', but I suspect you may categorise correct spelling as nit-picking.

I moved to the MIT
> license from the BSD license because I didn't want to make
> qualifications...

 If that was your reason for changing licences, the rest of this discussion
may be somewhat tangential.

> and I'm disinclined to make way for rms's
> nitpicking...

 Indeed.  [2]

> but perhaps I should just use "Apache 2.0" and be done
> with it. Also the AGPL is of interest... if I was gonna go GPL I would
> go AGPL... thoughts?

 What's your actual ethical standpoint on how your code is used,
propagated, shared, sold, etc?

 That may inform any licensing discussion better than relying on your
asserted dislike of ambiguity or (other people's) nit-picking.

 j.

 [1]  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum
 [2]  Trickier .. perhaps *argumentum contra auctoritate*?