[ProgClub programming] MIT or GPL

John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Tue Jun 18 08:29:13 AEST 2019

On 18/6/19 8:20 am, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 at 07:14, John Elliot V | ProgClub <jj5 at progclub.org
> <mailto:jj5 at progclub.org>> wrote:
>
>     >  You may wish to
>     > consider:  https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#Expat
>
>     Many many people refer to the "MIT license"...
>
>  Indeed.  [1]
>
>  I'd hope that most Australians would wrongly refer to it as 'the MIT
> licence', but I suspect you may categorise correct spelling as nit-picking.

ITYM "nitpicking"... lolz.

 https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/nitpicking

>     I moved to the MIT
>     license from the BSD license because I didn't want to make
>     qualifications...

Well all other things being equal...

>     but perhaps I should just use "Apache 2.0" and be done
>     with it. Also the AGPL is of interest... if I was gonna go GPL I would
>     go AGPL... thoughts?
>
>  What's your actual ethical standpoint on how your code is used,
> propagated, shared, sold, etc?

I'm pretty laissez-faire, but this question was fishing for if I have a
responsibility to free software that I'm perhaps neglecting... staying
with the incumbent requires the least energy...