[ProgClub programming] MIT or GPL

John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Wed Jun 19 05:18:46 AEST 2019

On 18/6/19 8:20 am, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
>  [1]  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

Just in relation to that, I would note that language is a consensus
activity...

rms says that the MIT License is ambiguous, but this is not ambiguous:

 https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT

As a counterpoint, I declare I have a free software license which I call
the "GPL". The "Good Proper License", which reads:

"You can use this software however you want, but it has no warranty."

Now, by the strict application of the logic you alluded to, rms will
need to be told that his license, the "GPL", has an ambiguous name,
because there is another license on the interwebs with the same name;
and that we declare his "GPL" shall henceforth be known as the "Gaijin
license".

In these circumstances I think you might find that rms only nitpicks
when it suits him. And that the object of the name "GPL" derives its
meaning from a popular agreement.