[ProgClub programming] MIT or GPL

John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Wed Jun 19 09:04:18 AEST 2019

On 19/6/19 8:52 am, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 at 07:14, John Elliot V | ProgClub <jj5 at progclub.org
> <mailto:jj5 at progclub.org>> wrote:
>
>     ... I moved to the MIT license from the BSD license because I didn't
>     want
>
>     to make qualifications ...
>
>  Okay, so in the context of subsequent comments, can you reveal:
>
>  o  if you believe 'the BSD licence' is non-ambiguous,

The BSD license is ambiguous because there are multiple BSD licenses
with varying number of clauses:

 https://opensource.org/search/node/BSD

>  o  whether the use of the definite article was ironic,

Ah, fair enough. I should have said either "the BSD licenses" or "a BSD
license".

>  o  what qualifications you found you had to make with 'the BSD licence'

When referring to a BSD license you need to qualify the number of
clauses to indicate the specific one that you intend. I found this
tiresome and complicated so I switched to the MIT license.