[ProgClub programming] MIT or GPL

Jedd Rashbrooke jedd.rashbrooke at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 09:13:26 AEST 2019

On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 at 09:04, John Elliot V | ProgClub <jj5 at progclub.org>
wrote:

> When referring to a BSD license you need to qualify the number of
> clauses to indicate the specific one that you intend. I found this
> tiresome and complicated so I switched to the MIT license.

 This suggests to me that your licence selection is based on an interest in
not wanting to consider licensing details, rather than an affinity to a
particular, codified set of ethics / constraints / permissions.

 Which is definitely a position you're entitled to, but I don't understand
why a prefix to 'BSD licence' (or just a verbatim copy of the specific BSD
variant's licence within each source file, as you seem to do) wouldn't have
been just as effective.

 Did you re-licence existing 'BSD licenced' code btw, by re-applying a
different licence?   Did that have any ramifications for people who'd
previously downloaded some .php scripts from you with the Expat licence
attached, but upstream's now got a different licence?  I'm unclear how that
works absent (or even with) version or release number changes.