[ProgClub programming] Announcing rf.php and rnd()

Jedd Rashbrooke jedd.rashbrooke at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 11:36:56 AEST 2019

On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 at 11:09, John Elliot V | ProgClub <jj5 at progclub.org>
wrote:

> I don't know why you keep going on about how bad it is that I've written
> a shell script that uses rsync to do my backups.

 Yes you do.

 It's because you spend inordinate amounts of time re-inventing triangular
wheels.  Sure, they have one less bump per revolution than the old square
wheel, but nonetheless ...

 The scripts you wrote broke on days / hours (I forget which) that started
with a '0'.

 You're now writing 200 line long 'random number generators' to verify
backups .. and you're nowhere near the actual bit where you verify the
actual backups.  Or one or two files from a backup.  Or however it's going
to work.

 The functionality you seek - generating backups and verifying them,
turning copies into archives with sensible, predictable, manageable long
term archives, etc - is already out there, for free, maintained,
documented, reliable.

 That's why.

> You have suggested a while back that I use 'dirvish', but I can barely
> believe that you could make such a recommendation with a straight face.
> (If you want me to tear strips off dirvish by all means let me know and
> I will oblige.)

 I confess to some curiosity.

 I have a vague memory you were bewildering fixated about the possibility
of md5sum clashes ... I can't find a reference to it in my mail, so my
memory may well be wrong here.  If it's right, and you're now about to use
my frivolous suggestion to use md5sum rather than vim to verify file
contents ... well, that'll be fun.

I mean seriously, what's so bad about that? The
> 'rsync' program is perfectly suited to doing backups, that's what it's
> for. And if you need to run 'rsync' over a bunch of hosts and
> directories on a regular basis having a shell script do that makes
> perfect sense.

 You've effectively described how a lot of existing backup software works.

 Dirvish (etc) rely on rsync.   But they also work on the 9th day of each
month.

 Mind, 'just a set of scripts around rsync' may be doing these pieces of
software a disservice.

 rsync is fantastic for synchronising two sets of data.  No one's arguing
the contra.

 Managing scheduling, handling edge cases, versioning, retention &
longevity handling, verification, etc -- all tested & documented -- these
are the value adds of existing backup suites.