[ProgClub programming] Announcing the base() shell function

John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Sun Jun 23 14:15:29 AEST 2019

On 23/6/19 1:46 pm, John Elliot V | ProgClub wrote:
> Why have multiple calls to base() leave you in a sub project, the base
> of which you are already in?

And if you scramble to adapt your initial special case solution to meet
this additional requirement you will discover that your special cases
can't be easily modified to provide this functionality (i.e. your
already buggy solution is now also unmaintainable) and you will need to
rewrite the whole thing, probably using some general approach like the
one I have used which enumerates the parent directories.

The wise man does in the beginning what the fool does in the end..? :P

(I admit that last comment was a bit audacious of me. And there is much
to be said for special case solutions to problems as stop-gap measures
while there's not enough time or money to develop full blown general
purpose solutions... but we wouldn't go so far as to call cheap stop-gap
measures "elegant".)