[ProgClub programming] Announcing the base() shell function

Jedd Rashbrooke jedd.rashbrooke at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 21:52:59 AEST 2019

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 at 21:12, John Elliot V | ProgClub <jj5 at progclub.org>
wrote:

> On 23/6/19 8:06 am, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
> > John, almost no one has any svn anymore.
>
> This surprises me. Do you have a source for this claim?

 That's the only bit worth responding to?

 "This is a good example of you picking something which doesn't matter ..."

 Like those boiled desserts with the cake at the top, and the liquid at the
bottom, that you flip over before serving, it's mostly self-saucing.

 I've worked in a lot of shops, and I haven't seen people using svn in
anger since 2010.  And there was a lot of anger.

 Most stats are going to be questioned (by you), as self-selecting, skewed,
biased, etc.  Debian popcon indicates git at ~90k with a consistent trend
upwards, compared to subversion at 25k consistent trend down since 2013.
Subversion apologists on stackoverflow, quora, linkedin, etc, will suggest
there's more hits for git on various search engines because it's hard, not
that it's more popular, and who can argue with that.    I believe svnhub.com
is still going gangbusters, with a lot of people hosting their code there,
so that's something, I guess.