[ProgClub programming] Battle.net WoW API

Bryn Davies curious.jp at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 09:48:28 AEST 2019

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 at 21:21, John Elliot V | ProgClub <jj5 at progclub.org>
wrote:

> Is that because they had a chatty RPC-style "REST" interface which
> required billions of requests to get the data you're interested in?

Yes, but the problem was not overwhelming verbosity itself, as a lack of
search functionality. Play sessions in D2 generate post session reports
known as "PGCRs". Pulling an individual player profile will allow you to
traverse a list of PGCRs they have participated in. PGCRs include a
gametype, but there is no way to just ask for all PGCRs over a certain
period of time with a given gametype.

As a result, current best practice for e.g. pulling all PGCRs related to
competitive player vs player matches over the span of a week is to start
with a known ID from your own player history, and then traverse - step by
step - through the sequential PGCR ids, pulling each record (about .3s
each), testing its type, and then storing or discarding it as appropriate.

The community could do a lot to improve this by building a third party
cache of PGCR ids and gametypes with distributed submission, but nobody
seems interested in doing the heavy lifting involved. (Including me.)