[ProgClub programming] Announcing the base() shell function

Jedd Rashbrooke jedd.rashbrooke at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 21:56:50 AEST 2019

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 at 23:03, John Elliot V | ProgClub <jj5 at progclub.org>
wrote:

> On 24/6/19 10:40 pm, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:
> > I note the author talks about git, but doesn't mention svn.
>
> I'm not sure if this one [1] turned up on HN (I saw it on r/programming)...

 Ah, Nemil .. a 37yo writing - as far as I can tell - a non-ironic 'Notes
to a Young Software Engineer' blog.

 I see he has a github presence -- https://github.com/nemild

 Searching on 'nemil dalal subversion' returns zero hits.

 Anyhoodles, you were attempting to make a slightly different point:

> "As a bazaar, each piece of content depends on how much engagement it
> gives. If we compare an ancient — but important — build system like Make
> to Webpack, there will — on average — be much more content and
> excitement around the newest technology. This can give you a false view
> of what people actually use in day to day practice."

 So far I can tell, you're trying to extrapolate from this snippet on some
rando's blog that there's a non-inverted correlation between how little
people talk about something, and how popular and/or good it is.

 Is that right?

 In that case you should be moving towards an RCS-tracked PHP v3 codebase,
ideally running on a pdp11.

 I did offer three different measures to back up my original claim.