[ProgClub programming] Monitoring disk utilisation in the cloud

Jedd Rashbrooke jedd.rashbrooke at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 07:54:35 AEST 2019

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 at 02:53, John Elliot V | ProgClub <jj5 at progclub.org>
wrote:

> I'm thinking maybe I will just go with AWS for Elasticsearch [1]. I
> think I qualify for the free tier [2].

 Didn't you just buy a server to run these kinds of things?

Why wouldn't I do that?

 I can't say why you might not do that, but here's why I wouldn't:

 a) I tend to eschew Amazon products in general, and this product in
particular (AWS is within the letter of the relevant licences & laws, but
is arguably not behaving ethically)

 b) hosting my own Elastic suite is more interesting and useful

 c)  the nominally 'free' (in the beer sense) tier would be insufficient
for my needs - I'm sitting on about 47GB of historical data so far - I
expect my 1y rolling data will be 100GB+

 d) many of the features I am interested in are not available on AWS's
older, stripped down offering [1] - f.e. the SIEM feature I mentioned
yesterday, as well as Canvas, Elastic SQL, ML, etc.

 j.

[1] https://www.elastic.co/aws-elasticsearch-service