[ProgClub programming] Monitoring disk utilisation in the cloud

Jedd Rashbrooke jedd.rashbrooke at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 09:01:40 AEST 2019

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 at 07:59, John Elliot V | ProgClub <jj5 at progclub.org>
wrote:

> Okay, cool. I was about to provision a graylog server, but that won't be
> required now? I need to know which VMs to create and their vital
> statistics...

 Spend a couple of hours running up an instance on your home server, give
it 2 cores and 6gb RAM, install elasticsearch and kibana 7.2.    Data will
be dropping into  /var/lib/elasticsearch so I'd suggest making / 100gb.
Expect to blow it all away later, so don't waste time fretting over storage
size and layout.

 Then install metricbeat & logbeat on itself and a couple of other machines.

 Have a play and get a feel kibana - notably discovery tool, logs ui, and
OOTB dashboards for metrics etc.

 There's probably some example data around APM you can import, and perhaps
they've got some SIEM demo data bundles too.  There's a third party php
agent, but I'd suggest you defer APM for a while - it's a bit of a rabbit
hole.

 If you have a half-way decent router, forward netflows into filebeat
running on the same box.  Worst case run up softflowd and send local
interface flows into filebeat instead.