[ProgClub programming] Installing software from github

John Elliot V | ProgClub jj5 at progclub.org
Fri Jun 28 14:39:14 AEST 2019

On 28/6/19 1:40 pm, John Elliot V | ProgClub wrote:
> What do other people do when they want to install some software
> maintained on github on a handful of their computers?

I'm still interested to hear what others do but for now I've done things
this [1] way. I've created a salt config which I apply as standard on
all minions which gets a tagged version of a library from github and
then creates some symlinks to its parts in /usr/local/bin. This can be
extended to other github software projects/libraries in future.

[1] root at diligence:/srv# cat salt/conf/base/github.sls

/srv/github/numblr:
  file.directory:
    - makedirs: True
    - require:
      - pkg: git

/srv/github/numblr/glaciertools-v1.1:
  cmd.run:
    - name: svn co https://github.com/numblr/glaciertools.git/tags/v1.1
/srv/github/numblr/glaciertools-v1.1
    - unless: test -d /srv/github/numblr/glaciertools-v1.1
    - require:
      - file: /srv/github/numblr

/usr/local/bin/glacierabort:
  file.symlink:
    - target: /srv/github/numblr/glaciertools-v1.1/glacierabort

/usr/local/bin/glacierupload:
  file.symlink:
    - target: /srv/github/numblr/glaciertools-v1.1/glacierupload

/usr/local/bin/treehash:
  file.symlink:
    - target: /srv/github/numblr/glaciertools-v1.1/treehash