[ProgClub programming] VM won't boot after salt config

Jedd Rashbrooke jedd.rashbrooke at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 20:09:59 AEST 2019

On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 at 18:42, John Elliot V | ProgClub <jj5 at progclub.org>
wrote:

> Actually that's not true. I copied a 'clean' virtual disk and mounted it
> with qemu-nbd before applying the salt config and then applied my salt
> config. I then looked for deltas between the clean image and the broken
> image, which is how I diagnosed the issue.

 If you're not running etckeeper, you should be.

 If you're running etckeeper, and rightly using git to do so, then you can
set up automated regular syncs.  I use pulls from my core host, as it's
easier to orchestrate and I feel a bit more secure.   But you could have a
repo per host, and do pushes.  Either way it means you can be confident of
having a contemporary copy of /etc to refer to without having to fiddle
around.

I do run the servers headless, but not during installation as the
> installer is interactive.

 I don't understand this.  What installer requires a GUI on the local
machine?  Is this Windows, or Wayland?